Thursday, July 8, 2010

Free Craft (wall redo part 2)

My husband travels alot and when he is gone I like to work late into the night crafting! So a few weeks ago he was gone and I had an itch to do something. I went out to my garage trying to get some inspiration. I came across this finial (I took it off an old swivel mirror I took apart years ago) That got my wheels turning, so I grabbed a small (8") piece of 1x1, and a chunk of 2x2.

I routed the 2x2 (for those of you that might not know what "routed" means) - you take a plain piece of wood, and run it through a tool called a router to give it a decorative edge like this:

I then drilled a couple of holes in the base so that my nails wouldn't split the wood, then nailed the base to the 1x1 post.

I drilled a hole in the center top of the post that was the same size as the screw on my finial. Somehow I deleted the picture of the finial on top. Oops. (you will see the finished holder at the end of the post)

Now for something to hang on my cute new holder:
I went online, and googled "printable wall quotes" or something to that effect, and there were hundreds of great designs! This one was perfect, simple, and about family. It was as easy as putting a piece of scrapbook paper in the printer and printing it! I then cut a scrap of wood to fit the paper, and of course routed the board as well.

I painted the wood with brown where I would be sanding (for a distressed look)
After the brown dried I gave it a coat of white paint, then sanded it till I got the look I wanted.

Put on a layer of modpodge and adhere the printed saying:

A little black ribbon is the perfect finishing touch

Like the professional way I attached the ribbon? (thumb tacks!)

Now you can see the finished holder (I spray painted it with OIL RUBBED BRONZE spray paint)

I attached the sign with just a little nail through the ribbon.
I LOVE my new sign! And best part it was FREE!!! (I love vinyl but seldom want to pay for it)


I am linking up to the CSI challenge- wish me luck!!!
Visit thecsiproject.com

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE IT! adorable! WAY TO GO! jenn

mle said...

I love the way that turned out!!

NoDebtMomma said...

Super cute! Grea job!

Sam
http://momundecided.blogspot.com/

Janna said...

Hi! Found you while blog-hopping, and I love your project! Such creativity, I'm sure I'll be hanging around here more!

Carrie said...

Oh. My. Love it! That is so creatively clever and it turned out beautifully!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That is so cute! I love how you made it!

Unknown said...

So cute!! I just became your 100th follower!!! :) Stop by my blog and see me sometime, too!

memakingdo said...

That is so cute great job!!!

memakingdo said...

I feature this check it out and grab a button!

http://soverycreative.blogspot.com/2010/08/not-vinyl-sign.html

Unknown said...

This is darling! And even better when it is free! I am hosting a link party on my blog this weekend about words/quotes (The Weekend Word Search). Please consider stopping by! Your project would be a great addition.

Classy Clutter said...

That is darling! LOVE IT! So cute and creative! I am your newest follower!

Stop by for a visit!

www.classyclutter.blogspot.com

Mallory @ Classy Clutter

Karie said...

That is so dang cute! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

What a great project and you used what you had - so lucky you have router too. Love the little sign.

Kulla Klan said...

Man . . . I love your crafts! They are so creative and cute and I would love to make them except I would need to go out and buy a lot of the supplies. Oh well, maybe I will:) Keep making some more cool crafts! Aimee

Unknown said...

Maria, this is perfect, love it and thanks for sharing, I've been needing something like this for some time and didn't want to buy it. We are similar in style and I do craft groups like you, check out my blog if you have a minute kraftsaturday.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...