Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Quick & Easy Gift Idea

(this is one I did for me a year or so ago)

I needed a quick and easy gift to donate for a Relief Society Bingo night that my ward was doing. I have made several of these signs over the years, and thought they would be a perfect prize for the bingo champion! They also make great, inexpensive gifts. (like less than $2 a piece!) And the best part, if you don't have power tools, no worries - the guys at Home Depot or Lowes will do the cutting for you. Okay, here's the how to:
Things you will need:
* a 2x6 (about $3.50 for a 6' piece)
* paint
* 12x12 scrapbook paper
* contrast paper
* sander or sand paper
* mod podge
* apholstry brads ($1.24 for a 25 pack at Lowes)

1. Cut the 2x6 with a miter or chop saw to 12" long. If you don't have one, just ask them to cut them for you when you buy it - they will be happy to do it for you.

2. Sand the edges smooth and paint with color of choice
(I love this Valspar Satin paint $8 for a quart @ Lowes - it dries fast, goes on smooth, and usually only requires one coat)

3. Sand the edges for a distressed look

4. Cut background paper to a 4 1/2 x 11" rectangle (I inked the edges of mine with a brown ink)


5. Use vinyl (will up the cost) or if you're cheap like me, just use paper. If you don't have a cricut, no worries! Just get it to the size you want in a word document, and go into the "font" section and choose "outline" Then print it out on cardstock and cut it out with scissors (that's what I did, and it didn't take too long- plus I saved my file so if I do it again I am all ready to go) - if you look closely you can see the faint outline of the letters

6. Ink or stain (my stain was all gone since my son decided to drink it!) the sanded edges of the wood

7. Mod Podge the BACK ONLY of your background paper, and adhere it to your painted wood.
8. Align your letters how you want them and mod podge the BACK ONLY again of each letter, gluing them down to your background paper. (if you mod podge over the top, you will get wrinkles, and it won't look as nice)

9. Hammer in the upholstry brads to the corners of the paper (I like the bronze ones from Lowes)

Enjoy! These didn't turn out as well as some of the others I have done. The words kind of get lost in the background. (I usually use a bolder font so they stand out more) Oh-well. You get the basic idea.


So if you are looking for a cheap gift idea that is easy to mass produce, hope this helps!

Paper = about $ .50
Wood = about $ .55
Brads = about $ .20
Total = $1.25 (that is if you already have the paint)
NOT BAD!!!


17 comments:

Lara Zierke said...

Paper = about $ .50
Wood = about $ .55
Brads = about $ .20
Talent = priceless

Chelsea said...

He drank it!? Is he okay? Super cute BTW. Very simple yet stylish.

Ruthie said...

I really love this! What a fun craft! It is my style of decor!

Ruthie@Tattered Bliss

Marty said...

I really like this...I see these all the time in stores. Since I have everything on hand I can do it for free=)) Thanks for sharing!

Room to Inspire said...

What a great project - I really like the addition of the brads! Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired this week.

Chelsea

Jessica @ Me and My Bucket said...

SOOO CUTE!!! Thanks for joining the party!!! I'm bummed that I'm a nerd and am just now getting over here to check out your awesome blog!! I would have LOVED to make it to the craft night!! count me in FOR SURE next time!!! HOW FUN would it be if we made it a monthly thing and we rotated where we had it? I could host once and anyone else in the area could too!! It would be a nice getaway and a GREAT way to make new friends!! Let me know what you think!!!

P.S. the pumpkins are DARLING and I can't believe the little one drank the stain!! sooo glad he is ok though, it's a good thing they are so cute, right?

Theresa said...

As the person who won your cute HOME sign at Bingo, I say, "THANK YOU FOR BEING SO TALENTED!"

Unknown said...

Very cute! Turned out great!

Happy Mom's Daily said...

I love how simple and adorable these are! Thanks for the inspiration =)

mle said...

A $1 craft that is so super cute?! Awesome!! I think some of these will be happening at my house : )

Liz Smith said...

you and your wood skills. someday when i have a plethora of tools at my disposal I will be cool like you. :)

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Cute!! Love that paper!

Unknown said...

We are so glad you shared your great project with us at Anything Related! I love it!
{Rebekah}

Unknown said...

That is just stinkin' adorable! Love it : ) Have a blessed week, friend!

Love,
Laura

Cristie said...

I really like your project. I think I'll try it. Thats for sharing.

JC said...

This is awesome! I am definitely going to have to make something like this soon :) Thanks for sharing!
www.DomesticMess.com

Joseph said...

i need some quick gift idea as i wanted to send gifts to pakistan on Eid day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...