Wednesday, April 21, 2010

DIY Glitter Toes

Many of you have asked if there is an easy way to remove glitter toes- there is!!!
I actually discovered this by accident- I found if you soak in a hot bath for about 10 minutes- you can literally just peel them off!  There will still be a little residue left- but nothing you can't remove with just a little nail polish remover.  This is so much easier than trying to file and scrape them off!
Hope this helps!

WARNING: The following post contains images of feet that may be very disturbing to some - trust me, think your feet are cute? Try taking pictures of them and then tell me if you still think they are cute!!! (remember the camera adds 5 lbs - to each toe!!!)

Okay, I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE glitter toes (aka rock star toes) but being the frugalista that I am I HATE the price! So, I have found a way to do them myself for a fraction of the cost! Plus they won't ruin your toes and you can change out the color as often as you want! Here's how!
You will need:
*Nail Polish (any kind, my fav is the quick dry ones since I can't paint my toes with out my daughter wanting hers done as well)
*Fine Glitter (the kind that looks like dust)
*Top Coat (the gel kind works best)














This is the gel top coat, I got it at Sally Beauty Supply for $4














1. Paint one toe to start (once you get the hang of it you can paint a couple at a time) I never knew my toes were so ugly until I started photographing them!














2. Dump glitter on wet polish














Continue til all toes are done.















3. Brush off excess glitter with dry paint brush (brush off nails very gently so you don't dent your hard work!)



















NOTE: do this on a sheet of paper so you can dump the extra glitter back into the container!

4. Brush on your top coat (to get a really glossy top coat, apply one coat, then do a second coat later - like the next day, or at least 6 hours later)














Now sit back and enjoy your sexy toes!!! If you do a good top coat these will last 3-4 weeks! The glitter helps it not chip.














This picture is of my polish after a week - no chips!














Once you do your toes you will find yourself constantly looking at your them and thinking "I LOVE my toes!"

GLITTER FYI:This set I got at JoAnnes but I know Hobby Lobby has them as well. It costs $10 dollars but wait till there is a coupon. A little goes a long way with glitter, I have had this bottle for 9 years and have used it on countless projects.














These are the most expensive ones, $5 a piece! They are at Roberts, but I go on Mondays when there is a 50% coupon. For extra sparkle, get the ones that look kinda rainbowy instead of solid.














These are the best deal. They are at Hobby Lobby, they come in a three pack (so 15 colors per pack) for $7 - again, wait for a coupon! So for all 30 of these colors I paid $8 and I will have enough for a lifetime of glitter toes!



















Consider the glitter a crafting investment - you can use it for everything! Remember my gold glitter shamrock? Yup, it came from this pack!

Have Fun getting a pedicure!

9 comments:

mom2jjk said...

Sweet! Michelle was telling me how to do this but I am a visual and need to see it! I think I will have to go to Sally tomorrow!

Cherie Nelson said...

I found you because of Melissa on facebook. (I'm Miranda's friend from High School.) I LOVE your blog! My 6-year-old and I are excited to try glitter toes this weekend! Woohoo!!!

mom2jjk said...

I linked this craft blog to Facebook after I did my toes today! Mine turned out pretty cute. FUN FUN!

Tiffany Downs said...

Hey, my name is Tiffany. I went to high school with your sister. I love the stuff you do. I would love to know if you sell your stuff? What faunt do you use on your "lucky"? Please email me at tacdowns@yahoo.com. . .
thanks,
Tiffany

emilye said...

So cute Maria I'm impressed I'll have to try it :)

emilye said...

So cute Maria I'm impressed I'll have to try it :)

Tiffany said...

Hey I love your blog... I can't wait to try glitter toes. Thanks for showing me yours today. You are so crafty! I so wish I was that crafty! Do you sale any of these? I would love the candle sticks. You are so cute... I am happy we get to talk in class while our kids have to pay attention!

evanaglitters said...

omg. i do my toes this way..wayyyyy cheaper..i get them from claires micheals hobby lobby and any where that i can find fine glitter. but i do mine a diffrent way i will post another comment telling you my youtube account.

Bonnie said...

So glad to find a better place to buy colors. I have a question, is there an easier way to get this off than with regular nail polish remover? That is my only hangup. I HATE taking it off. It takes forever. I would change out my toes every week if it were easier. (I think!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...